The Harry H. Culver House
Home of the Founder of Culver City
This three-story, colonial-revival home was constructed in 1916 (architect
unknown) at the corner of Delmas Terrace and Washington Boulevard in
Culver City, California.
Photographs of the home at its original site are currently on display at The
Roll & Rye deli in Culver City. The structure is typical of Los Angeles
homes of this period - unable to decide precisely which architectural style to
follow. It contains influences of Gothic, Arts and Crafts and its predominant
Colonial Revival style.
In 1926, after the development of the Culver City downtown area had
surrounded his home, Culver decided that this 4200-square-foot mansion wasn't
big enough for himself, his wife and one child. So, he had the house moved about
a mile west into Los Angeles, an area now known as Cheviot Hills, so that he
could supervise the construction of his Wallace Neff mansion. Photographs of
this Spanish revival house can be seen in books about Wallace Neff.
Unfortunately, the Neff house was demolished in 1960. But the original Culver
house still stands.
From its earliest days, the house has been the site of occasional film
shooting and, more recently, television. Such programs as L.A. Law and Our
House have used its expansive rooms which easily hold shooting personnel and
their equipment in a locale that is both non-L.A. looking (no palm trees),
spacious, and interesting architecturally.
In 1994, the Northridge
delivered the house a severe body blow. The home's foundation has been almost
completely replaced and the concrete sidewalks and patios have been replaced, as
close to the original as possible. Work on the interior was completed in early
Gerry and Charles were the home's seventh owners
from 1987 to 1998. A string of professionals, (like doctors and lawyers) have
managed to keep the house almost entirely in its original condition for more
than 75 years. Two former owners still live in the immediate area.
a city the Los Angeles Times described as having "tear down fever," it
is a rare and pleasant surprise to find a structure still standing that reflects
the care and craftsmanship that is no longer to be found in new construction.
Back to Charles's
Last updated: 02-12-1998