This three-story, colonial-revival home was constructed in 1916
(architect unknown) at the corner of Delmas Terrace and Washington Boulevard in
California. Photographs of the home at its original site are currently on
display at The Roll & Rye deli in Culver City. The structure is typical of
Los Angeles homes of this period - unable to decide precisely which
architectural style to follow. It contains influences of Gothic, Arts and
Crafts and its predominant Colonial Revival style.
In 1926, after the development of the Culver City downtown area had surrounded his home, Culver decided that this 4200-square-foot mansion wasn't big enough for himself, his wife and one child. So, he had the house moved about a mile west into Los Angeles, an area now known as Cheviot Hills, so that he could supervise the construction of his Wallace Neff mansion. Photographs of this Spanish revival house can be seen in books about Wallace Neff. Unfortunately, the Neff house was demolished in 1960. But the original Culver house still stands.
From its earliest days, the house has been the site of occasional film shooting and, more recently, television. Such programs as L.A. Law and Our House have used its expansive rooms which easily hold shooting personnel and their equipment in a locale that is both non-L.A. looking (no palm trees), spacious, and interesting architecturally.
In 1994, the Northridge earthquake delivered the house a severe body blow. The home's foundation has been almost completely replaced and the concrete sidewalks and patios have been replaced, as close to the original as possible. Work on the interior was completed in early August, 1996.
Gerry and Charles were the home's seventh owners from 1987 to 1998. A string of professionals, (like doctors and lawyers) have managed to keep the house almost entirely in its original condition for more than 75 years. Two former owners still live in the immediate area.
In a city the Los Angeles Times described as having "tear down fever," it is a rare and pleasant surprise to find a structure still standing that reflects the care and craftsmanship that is no longer to be found in new construction.
Back to Charles's Home Page
Last updated: 04-20-2018